17th CENTURY NEW AMSTERDAM
“Nieu Amsterdam een Stedeken in Noord Amerikaes Nieu Hollant, op het eilant Manhattan: namaels Nieu Jork genaemt, toen het geraekte in ‘t gebiet der Engelsehen 1667. New Amsterdam, a small City on Manhattan Island, New-Holland, North America, now called New York & is a part of the English Colonies, about 1667.” Lithograph by George Hayward made around 1860 for David Thomas Valentine’s “Manual of the Corporation of the City of New York”. Coloured by a later hand. Size: 16 x 25 cm.
David Thomas Valentine (1801-1869) was a clerk within New York City’s common council for over thirty years and is regarded as the city’s primary historian of the time. Between 1841 to 1870 Valentine published annually, a statistical and historical reference book he called the “Manual of the Corporation of The City of New York”. Valentine’s Manuals contain hundreds of maps, lithographs and woodcuts of New York City, often of sites demolished earlier such as seen on this view, but also includes lists of offices and office holders, election results, and financial summaries.
1667 marked the end of the Second Anglo-Dutch War, which was concluded with the Treaty of Breda. In that treaty, the United Provinces agreed with Britain to the status quo of English ownership of Manhattan, and the Dutch finally relinquished their claims to the island.
PRICE: EUR 850,-