“Nova et recens emendata totius regni Ungariae una cum adiacentibus et finitimis regionibus delineatio” [A new and recent revised depiction of the whole Kingdom of Hungary, together with the adjacent and neighboring countries], copper engraving made by Johannes van Doetecum first published by Cornelis Claesz in 1596, here published by Claes Jansz. Visscher in 1634. Coloured by a later hand. Verso: blank. Size: 35,7 x 53,9 cm.
Important early map of Hungary, centered on the course of the Danube River, from Hungary to Romania. The map extends from Maribor, Zagreb and Vienna in the west, to Sibiu, Pitesti and Fagaras in Romania. The double headed eagle of the Habsburg Monarchy in the middle bears the arms of Hungary. The map includes small coats of arms, bird’s eye views of the cities and descriptions of the important battles.
The lower banner explains that the towns and strongholds conquered by the Ottomans are marked with a crescent on the top and the Christian towns with a cross. It was only in 1699 that the Ottomans ceded nearly all of Ottoman Hungary.
Price: Euro 1.350,-