“Vue de la Place Royale Bruxelles” etching with aquatint created around 1825 by Johann Nepomuk Gibèle based on a drawing by C. Janssens (the figures by Jean Baptiste Madou). Size: (image) 50.8 x 80 cm (including text 58.5 x 80 cm).
We see the Place Royale in Brussels, built in neoclassical style in 1776 to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the reign of governor Charles of Lorraine. On the left are the buildings of the Hotel Coudenberg, with the Saint-Jacques-sur-Coudenberg church in the center. Across the square on the left is the Hôtel de Templeuve (at that time the residence of Countess Brigitte of Tirimont-Templeuve, from 1865 known as the ‘Palais du Comte de Flandre‘), and opposite the Hôtel des Brasseurs, the headquarters of the brewers’ guild (now part of the Royal Museums of Fine Arts). The building next to it, in the right-hand corner, is the Hôtel du Lotto, built as the seat of the Imperial and Royal Lottery, now the Magritte Museum.
The colonnade in the center on the opposite side of the square was removed in 1827 to make way for the construction of the Rue de la Régence/Regentschapstraat.
This print was made during turbulent times. The Belgians were dissatisfied and working towards the independence of their country, which became fact in 1830. Yet, there is nothing to suggest revolution; the square exudes serenity, and people seem to pass through the city carefree. Perhaps it was propaganda commissioned by the patron of this beautiful and large view?
Price: Euro 1.250,-