“Panorama de Genève“, etching with aquatint published by J. H. Locher in Zurich, approx. 1850. With original hand colouring. Size: 9 x 54 cm.
With a new government under James Fazy, from 1846 onwards Geneva undergoes a transformation. Old Calvinist Geneva is transformed into a fancy modern city. The fortifications were razed to the ground, new streets and quays are constructed, the imposing Montblanc bridge built, as well as a number of beautiful public buildings. Part of the public land is donated to Catholics for a new cathedral and a national institute for the arts and sciences is established.